Friday, January 25, 2013

The Chase...



It’s that time when Chelsea and I trespassed on private property or those times when Emma and I would drop what we’re doing, and pretend to be ninja's on the trampoline.  When I hiked my favorite hike, mile upon mile, in the pouring rain. The thrill that I get every time I win a game of Canasta or when I played truth or dare with Allecia, Chelsea and Andrea. It was when mom and I kidnapped Eris on a Sunday afternoon and the time when I jumped into a Floyd Lamb pond with Nate Waggoner. The exhilarating moment when I reached the end of Colob Lake on a paddle board or when I turned the car around, parked at Quinn's house, and jumped straight into his pool. It was the time when Brandon and I ran to the car hand in hand, from the Logan dale fair, with the cold rain dancing on our skin. The experience isn’t the point, but rather the passion. I have a passion of being free, not in a bohemian flower child kind of free, but 'Eryn' free. I feel the most free when its pouring rain and I run. I feel free when I let go of all my stress and play with my little sister for a while, because when I'm around her I feel like I'm 11 again. I feel free when I'm driving and a song I've never heard before wraps it's magical  trance around me, with the windows rolled down, my hair completely undone,  at those teasing moments at the end of the day when the Vegas sun gleams those brilliant pinks, yellows and oranges for a quick minute  before disappearing. Passion. That’s what it’s all about. Moments of pure magic and indefinite energy.



As I read The Chase, these were the memories I thought of. These experiences are the things that stick with me. They remind me of the way I felt when I did them and how they make me smile.  I love when Annie talks about how she kept running and running, even when she felt she was choking for air. This was Annie's adventure, and after all these years she hasn't forgotten the feeling she felt when It was happening.

Theme -"... It was an immense discovery, pounding into my hot head with every sliding, joyous step, that this ordinary adult evidently knew what I thought only children who trained at football knew: That you have to fling yourself at what you're doing, you have to point yourself, forget yourself, aim, dive."



Purpose- "The point was that he had chased us passionately without giving up, and so he caught us." The skinny, red headed business man showed  Annie that he was passionate, even as a grown adult.



Issue- Obviously, part of the issue is that Annie and her friends got themselves into trouble and could have had to suffer harsher consequences. Another issue is that Annie could have given up, and so could the skinny business man. There wouldn't have been any experience from this if that would have been the case. Annie wouldn't have felt the sense of freedom, that seems to still affect her after all these years, had they just given up.


Conclusion- " I would have died happy, for nothing has required so much of me..." 

Annie was satisfied that she tried her hardest along with the furious man. It was a moment when she felt a sense of satisfaction that she can still look back and appreciate even after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment