Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Your Governing Values Are The Foundation of Personal Fulfillment



A couple days ago, I walked into the library like normal. Took my normal seat in my normal spot on the first floor. I worked through my assignments like it was just a normal afternoon of school. When it came time for me to read an article called Your Governing Values Are The Foundations of Personal Fulfillment by Hyrum Smith, my eyes were basically touching the screen of the library computer. This wasn't normal. I was intrigued, mesmerized and focused at the same time. I wanted more and more of the stories and analogies that, for some reason, had the power to captivate me. It was as if a gust of this rich and enchanting magic spell  rushed through my heart, gently, but powerfully saying, "Listen carefully Eryn, You need this. This is another clue at finding out who you are and what you want to be. It is important because you are important. Let me teach you, then you may learn, and then you may grow." I heard a woman once call moments like these, tapping moments. It's when something powerful taps your heart, reminding you why you mortally exist. This was a tapping moment for me.

Well first let me tell you what the purpose of this article is, since you're probably wondering. The title basically says it all. Your governing values, things that are most important to you, are the foundations of personal fulfillment. What are your governing values? What would you risk your life for? These aren't questions that you can answer, simply because you think you're supposed to say them. These are things that you ponder about, things that would be devastating to lose or not have. Maybe for some it really is your family, your integrity, your relationship with God, or your desire to be a better mother or father. The range is endless. Some are shallow for people, but most aren't. When you dig deep into your heart and mind it might be like opening the secret back door of a closet to find a snowy, mystical fairytale life that you never knew existed until now. Open the door even if it's tough. The handle may be stuck, or the key to the lock may be lost right now, but there is always another way in. Discover your potential (Theme).

The Issue, according to Hyrum Smith, is trying to find those values. What is it that will ring the imaginary bell inside of your head once discovering something you never knew before.
" When people have those kinds of emotions about identifying what really matters to them, something happens inside. And when they realize how important certain values are to them, suddenly they experience a sense of urgency that wasn't there before."

To conclude, Hyrum constructs a personal constitution. This is just like the Constitution of the United States, except they're your own.

Hyrum Smiths personal constitution:

1. I love God with all my heart, mind and strength
2. I love my neighbor as myself.
3. I obey all the commandments of God.
4. I am humble..
5. I am an outstanding husband and father.
6. I honor the memory of my father and mother.
7. I foster intellectual growth.
8. I am honest in all things.
9. I use excellent speech.
10. I maintain a strong and healthy body.
11. I value my time.
12. I am financially independent..
13. I have a period of solitude daily.
14. I change people’s lives.
15. I listen well.
16. I have order in my life at all times.








2 comments:

  1. I was reading a book called, "Change your Thoughts, Change your Life" by Wayne Dyer and a question he posed was, "what brings you the most pleasure?" If I answer really honestly, it's the eternal things like service, family, love, integrity. And when you really find pleasure in those things, you become them, I think.

    That question also helped me discover my major. :)

    You're adorable, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teralyn! Thank you for your comment and especially for reading my blog! I'm so glad I get to sit next you in class!
    - Eryn
    P.S. You've totally motivated me! I called my mom after you told me you read all of my articles because I was so stinkin' excited! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete