Tuesday, January 15, 2013

This I Believe...




I picture the suns warmth bathing my face and my toes sinking in the cool mud. I live somewhere warm. It's a beautifully warm place, with dew on fresh leaves, vibrant green grass and pink blossom trees. today is one of those enlivening mornings. It's a Monday morning to be particular, and I sit on my front porch with my sweethearts arms wrapped firmly around me as he kisses my nose and tells me he love me,the way he does before he leaves for work every morning. The sunrise is as if it's Gods very own canvas. His brush is smooth across the sky with radiant yellows and vibrant shades of pink. Those sweet 10 minutes of just my sweet husband and I before the still of the morning breaks, and our days work begins. Those rich mornings where we take a second to breath.

I can't help but smile when I hear my  messy, brown haired, freckle faced, two year old flop her wobbly feet onto the front porch, fresh out of bed. She has a look of bewilderment, as she rubs her green eyes, trying to squint past the pains of the morning light. The two others will be waking up shortly, which means it's  almost time to fill our stomachs with hot, buttered toast and eggs, scrambled because that's the way our picky five year old Lily prefers them. I whip up our traditional waffle batter recipe, and listen to the adventures that my wild eyed seven year old Jack, conveys to me from his dreams that night...

I have precious dreams filled with motherhood, family, love, nature and laughter. I can imagine my mother, old and gray, but still just as beautiful, gardening with me in my front yard, teaching me all she knows. I can see my brothers and sisters married, with a handfuls of kids, meeting up for Sunday dinners. My Dad teases the kids and patiently listens to what each one has to say, before tickling them to the point of uncontrollable laughter. I don't doubt that my mother and father will still be in love. They still dance in the kitchen with the songs Mom loves like, Ain't Love Something, or Blue Moon sung by Rod Stewart. These are a few of my dreams. They're Simple, but significant, and I love them.

1 comment:

  1. You use an interesting flash-back, or rather, flash-forward effect here. I must say I was a little confused for the first little while, then I understood. Sometimes it's good to trick the reader like that. In this case, I believe the rules or criteria suggest that you make the belief statement right up front in the beginning. You might want to say: I believe in dreams, and then go on with the intro the way you have it. Sweet dreams, Eryn. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete